875 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022
+1 212 918-3510 (office)
+1 917 495-7070 (mobile)
Serving Russian and CIS companies and international companies
doing business in Russia and the CIS as:
- Independent arbitrator and mediator
- Adviser on corporate governance
- Independent director
Pettibone is a Retired Partner in the global law firm, Hogan
Lovells. From 1991 to 2010, he was the managing
partner of the Moscow offices of three international law firms,
including Hogan & Hartson LLP from 2000 to 2010, and
resided in Moscow.
Based on his experience of
living and working in Russia for 20 years and his fluency in Russian,
Mr. Pettibone offers the following services:
- Serving as an independent arbitrator and mediator with a
particular focus on the resolution of international commercial disputes
- Advising on corporate governance issues, including proper
board procedures and composition, and the adoption and implementation of
corporate codes of conduct and best practices
- Serving as an independent director
Arbitration and Mediation Experience
- Mr. Pettibone is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of
- He is a CEDR Accredited Mediator.
- He is listed as an arbitrator/mediator with a number of
international arbitration institutions, including the USCIB (the US
committee of the ICC), the LCIA, AAA-ICDR, the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR), the Vienna
International Arbitration Court, the Dubai Arbitration Center, the Hong
Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), the Russian Arbitration
Association (RAA) and the
International Commercial Arbitration Court attached to the Russian
Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ICAC).
- He has been trained as a mediator by the Centre for Effective
Dispute Resolution (CEDR), the New York State Bar Association Dispute
Resolution Section and CPR.
- He was the chair of an arbitral tribunal formed by the
Joint Corporate Ethics Commission of the Russian Union of
Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP) in 2008-2009 to resolve a multi-million dollar dispute
involving a finders’ fee agreement. The language of that arbitration was Russian.
- He was the sole arbitrator in an ICDR
arbitration in New York in 2013-2014 to resolve a finders' fee dispute
between a company in New York and an entity in China.
- He was the chairman of an arbitral tribunal formed by the
Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm
Chamber of Commerce (SCC) to arbitrate a construction contract dispute
in Stockholm in 2014-2015 between the Russian subsidiary of a Western shopping center and real estate developer
and the Russian subsidiary of a Chinese state construction company.
was the chairman of an arbitral tribunal formed by the
Arbitration Institute of the SCC to arbitrate
a dispute in Stockholm in 2014-2015 involving a design/build
contract between a large Russian company and a supplier in
Eastern Europe. The language of that arbitration was Russian.
was a party-appointed arbitrator in an ICAC arbitration in Moscow in 2015-2016
involving the construction and lease of a supply facility outside
Moscow. The language of that arbitration was Russian.
is currently a party-appointed arbitrator in three pending ICAC
Moscow, the chairman of pending ICDR arbitration in New York and
the sole arbitrator in another pending ICDR arbitration in New York.
Mr. Pettibone's experience as a practicing corporate lawyer, beginning in 1967, has included:
- Negotiating and implementing Merger & Acquisition
- Drafting and negotiating Shareholder Agreements and Joint
Venture Agreements, including agreements where the state or a
state-controlled entity is a party
- Advising on Minority Shareholder Rights
- Drafting and negotiating Share Purchase Agreements
- Supervising corporate Due Diligence investigations
- Advising on Corporate Governance issues
- Forming off-shore holding company structures
- Drafting and negotiating Employment Agreements and, on behalf of the employer,
resolving disputes between the employer and the employee
Franchise Agreements and Distributorship Agreements
- Drafting and negotiating Franchise Agreements and
Distributorship Agreements and advising on related trademark issues
Construction and Real Estate Matters
- Counsel to the American partners in the Joint Venture with
Intourist to construct, develop and operate the Radisson Slavyanskya
Hotel and Business Center in Moscow
- Representing two foreign governments in acquiring real estate
in Moscow for their embassies
- Mr. Pettibone represented the first three space tourists –
Dennis Tito, Mark Shuttleworth and Greg Olsen – in their successful
negotiations with the Russian Space Agency to fly to the International
Space Station on Russian Soyuz spacecraft.
Recent publications and speeches
- Author of the article "Russia's Comprehensive Arbitration Reforms", which was published in the NYSBA New York Dispute Resolution Lawyer, Vol. 10, No. 1 (Spring 2017).
- Author of the article
"The Scope of the Public Policy Exception to the Recognition and
Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Russia", which was
published in The American Review of International Arbitration, Vol. 25, No. 1 (2014).
of the article "The Nonarbitrability of Corporate Disputes in Russia",
which was published in Arbitration
International, Vol. 29, No. 2 (2013).
on the uses and benefits of American-style cross examination of fact and expert
witnesses, at the Russian Arbitration Association IV Annual
Conference in Moscow, April 2017.
of panels on
current issues in arbitration, at the American Bar Association
Conferences on Dispute Resolution held in Moscow in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- Speaker on the limits of business confidentiality and the
attorney-client privilege in Russia, at the US-Russia Business Council
annual meeting in Houston, Texas, October 2013.
- Speaker on the topic of State Immunity, at the III St. Petersburg Legal Forum in May 2013.
- Mr. Pettibone is a founding member of the Board of
Directors of the US-Russia Business Council (USRBC), and was a member
of its Executive Committee, chair of its Compensation Committee and its outside general counsel from
1993 to 2009. He is now an Honorary Director of the USRBC.
- Mr. Pettibone was counsel to the US-USSR Trade and Economic Council from 1974 to 1992.
- Mr. Pettibone was co-chair of the Investment Committee of
the American Chamber of Commerce in Russia (AmCham) from 2000 to 2010.
- Mr. Pettibone was a member of the Board of Directors of the
International Tax and Investment Center (ITIC) from 1993 to 2009.
- Princeton University, AB 1961, summa
cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Harvard Law School, JD 1964
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. 1971
- New York (active)
- District of Columbia (inactive)
- Pennsylvania (inactive)
- United States Supreme Court
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA) and the International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA).
- Member, American
Bar Association (ABA). Mr. Pettibone is a Senior Adviser to the
Russia/Eurasia Committee of the Section of International Law of the
ABA and a member of the ABA Section on Dispute Resolution.
- Member of the steering committee for seven annual
conferences on dispute resolution sponsored by the ABA and held in
- Member, New York State Bar Association, Section on Dispute Resolution.
- Member, New York City Bar Association and its International Commercial Disputes Committee (ICDC).
- Member, International Arbitration Club of New York.
- Member, CPR's Arbitration Committee.
- Native English speaker
- Fluent in Russian
Copyright © 2016| Peter J. Pettibone.
All Rights Reserved