Peter Pettibone is an independent arbitrator and mediator and a retired partner in the global law firm, Hogan Lovells, in New York. Prior to retiring from law practice in 2010, Mr. Pettibone practiced as a corporate attorney for more than 40 years. He was the managing partner of the Moscow offices of three international law firms from 1991 to 2010, and resided in Moscow. He is a U.S. national and fluent in Russian.
- Mr. Pettibone is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb).
- He is listed with the USCIB (the US national committee of the ICC), the LCIA, AAA-ICDR, the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR), the Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA), the Vienna International Arbitration Court (VIAC), the Dubai Arbitration Center, the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), the Russian Arbitration Association (RAA) and the International Commercial Arbitration Court attached to the Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ICAC).
- He has arbitrated more than 15 international commercial cases in New York (at the ICDR), Stockholm (at the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce) and Moscow (at ICAC and the Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs).
- He has served as tribunal chairman, party-appointed arbitrator, sole arbitrator and emergency arbitrator.
- One-third of his cases were conducted in Russian.
- Subject matters in his arbitrations have included construction issues (contract interpretation, construction defects, breach of covenants, enforcement of guaranties), share purchase agreements (breaches of representations and warranties), finders’ fee agreements, high speeed data transmission services agreements, franchise agreement disputes, oil field equipment agreements, damages motions for injunctive relief.
- He interfaces well with arbitrators from civil law jurisdictions.
- His approach emphasizes processes that are efficient and cost effective.
- Mr. Pettibone is an accredited mediator by the Centre for Effective Disput Resolution (CEDR).
- He has been trained as a mediator by CEDR, the New York State Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section and CPR.
- He has been appointed a Special Master by the Appellate Divisioin, New York State Supreme Court, First Department.
Mr. Pettibone’s experience as a corporate lawyer from 1967 to 2010 included:
- Public offerings and private placements
- Securities matters
- Share Purchase Agreements
- Merger & Acquisition Agreements
- Shareholder Agreements and Joint Venture Agreements, including agreements where the state or a state-controlled entity is a party
- Advising on Minority Shareholder Rights
- Supervising corporate Due Diligence investigations
- Advising on Corporate Governance issues • Forming off-shore holding company structures
- Drafting and negotiating Employment Agreements and, on behalf of the employer, resolving disputes between the employer and the employee
Franchise Agreements and Distributorship Agreements
- Drafting and negotiating Franchise Agreements and Distributorship Agreements and advising on related trademark issues
Construction and Real Estate Matters
- Counsel to the American partners in the Joint Venture with Intourist to construct, develop and operate the Radisson Slavyanskya Hotel and Business Center in Moscow
- Represented two foreign governments in acquiring real estate in Moscow for their embassies
- Mr. Pettibone represented the first three space tourists — Dennis Tito, Mark Shuttleworth and Greg Olsen — in their successful negotiations with the Russian Space Agency to fly to the International Space Station on Russian Soyuz spacecraft.
Recent publications and speeches
- Author of the article “The Prague Rules on the Efficient Conduct of Proceedings in International Arbitration: are they an Alternative to the IBA Ruless on the Taking of Evidence in International Arbitration?” , submitted for publication in the Asian Dispute Review in 2019.
- Author of the arücle “Russia’s Comprehensive Arbitration Reforms”, which was published in the NYSBA New York Dispute Resolution Lawyer, Vol. 10, No. 1 (Spring 2017).
- Author of the article ‘The Scope of the Public Policy Exception to the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Russia” , whic was published in The American Review of International Arbitration, Vol.